top of page


Visiting one of our churches with youngsters?

From our families page you can print an Eye Spy activity sheet for them to complete while visiting:

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 17.03.57.png

  • Hamo de Warenne was the first rector between 1257 – 1293, so we know that St. Peter’s existed in the 13th Century.

  • The south wall of the nave displays two blocked semi-circular arches which appear to have been cut through in the 13th Century, possibly giving access to a wooden built south aisle or chapel. Historians think this was short lived and was demolished, probably after the Black Death c. 1350 when some Sussex villages, such as Exceat, lost over half their population.

  • When strengthening the foundations in 1860, two urns were discovered with charred bones and wood, believed to be either Ancient Briton or Roman. It is probable that the church was built on a site that was sacred even before Christianity was introduced to this country.

  • Pevensey, where William the Conqueror landed, is only a few miles to the East, one of his early actions was to replace the wooden built Saxon churches and rebuild in stone.

  • The present Western Tower dates from the 13th century. Whatever the date, it is an ancient building where people have worshipped for at least a thousand years.

  • St. Peter’s is classified as a 2* historic building. When restoration and repairs are required, traditional techniques are followed to retain the heritage. The interior is simple, with a central aisle, with pews to seat around 120. The acoustics are superb.

  • The Millennium was celebrated by commissioning a new window from Jane Campbell, on the theme ‘darkness to light’.

  • The churchyard was closed for burials in 1899.

  • There is a memorial tablet to Henry James Coxwell, AERONAUT, who in 1860 made a balloon ascent to 7 miles.

  • The BBC have an interesting item on an incident involving Mr. Coxwell HERE

  • A booklet with more detailed information is available for sale, please send A5 SAE with £1.50 to: The Rectory, 86 Belgrave Road, SEAFORD BN25 2HE.

  • Our Rectors over the past 800 years or so can be found listed HERE.


  • St. Andrew's Church stands in the village of Bishopstone in a downland setting one and a half miles from Seaford.

  • The building is Grade I listed and dates from between 600 and 800 AD.

  • An Anglo Saxon Minister church, the only visible remains of an adjoining high-status settlement, excavated 2002-2005, and considered one of the most important Saxon sites in Southern England. It formed the focal point of an ecclesiastical estate encompassing Denton, Norton, Sutton and beyond.

  • Broadly speaking the Nave and Porch are Saxon, the North aisle and East end are Norman, while the tower is both.

  • A Saxon sundial and window, transitional Norman arches, together with a host of interesting features lie within the building.

  • The Church seats around 140 people and has a good 'Hunter and Sons' organ.

  • The Church can be reached by private transport or on foot from the A259 coast road or Bishopstone station.

If you would like to know more about St. Andrew's we have a new guide book about the fabric and one about those named on the War Memorial.

bottom of page